The Independent Cosmetic Manufacturers and Distributors Association (ICMAD) has announced the winners in its 2016 Young Designers Awards Competition. Five students were recognized during a dinner ceremony February 18 at the Island Hotel Newport Beach, California, where keynote speaker Chris Birchby, Founder and CEO of COOLA Suncare, addressed the audience of more than 100 industry leaders.
- First Place winner and recipient of a US$5,000 cash prize is Nicole Shepherd, American Academy of Art, Chicago, with her design, “Udder Madness.”
- Second Place winner and recipient of a US$2,500 cash prize is Emily Lora Harris, Colorado Mesa University, with her design, “Cloak.”
- Third Place winner and recipient of a US$1,500 cash prize is Stephen Finley, Colorado Mesa University, with his design, “Bearded Dragon.”
The winners received an all-expenses-paid trip to California to attend the Young Designers Awards Ceremony and tour three local cosmetics facilities: Benchmark Cosmetic Laboratories, Gordon Laboratories and The Beauty Collection.
“We congratulate our 2016 Young Designers winners for their artistic abilities and innovative creations,” said Pamela Jo Busiek, ICMAD President and CEO. “ICMAD is honoured to provide this highly-recognized milestone along the path of such promising talent that may help launch professions in cosmetics and personal care.”
In addition, two Honourable Mentions were present to be recognized and awarded a US$500 cash prize each:
- Esther Betancourt, University of Las Vegas Nevada, with her design, “Tey Makeup Remover Lotion.”
- Sarah El Mouden, Miami International University of Art & Design, with her design, “DOCs Orders.”
The winners and honourable mentions were selected among more than 135 student participants from 14 schools competing in the annual program that fosters excellence in graphic and packaging design among colleges and universities nationwide.
2016 Young Designers judges were: Greg Chambers, CEO, Gordon Laboratories, Inc., Jani Friedman, VP, Dermstore, Chris James, VP, East Hills Industries, Inc. and Lindsay Pedder, VP Marketing, Joico.