Brazil-mania expected to increase further
Brazilian influence in the cosmetics sector is seen largely on the ingredients platform, with products featuring one of four key claims such as “Brazilian”, “from Brazil”, “sourced from Brazil” or “inspired by Brazil”.
The global hair care market also appears as increasingly inspired by Brazilian products. For instance, Mintel notes that while previously the vast majority of hair care product launches specifying the use of salt-free formulations were found in the Brazilian market, this is slowly changing. In 2011, Brazil represented 95% of these launches, while the rest of the world accounted for 5%. However, in 2013, Brazil accounted for 86% and the rest of the world, 14%.
“Brazil has traditionally been seen as an incredibly rich source of natural ingredients but today it is an inspiring beauty market in its own right. The Brazilian determination to look as good as possible whatever the cost is driving the country’s beauty market forward. At the same time, blending elements of Brazilian culture and lifestyle with popular naturals such as açaí and cupuaçu is an attractive approach for consumers in other countries. The next two years will see the Brazilian influence spread even further and deeper as beauty companies build on the after-effects of the Fifa World Cup and the run-up to the Rio Olympics in 2016,” says Vivienne Rudd, Global Director of Insight, Beauty & Personal Care, at Mintel.
Buoyant local market
While Brazil is showing its importance on the global stage, it still has scope to further grow its own market. For instance, the Brazilian skincare market is characterized by basic claims, such as moisturising and hydrating, present in 77% of the variants but only 66% of global launches. Issues of sensitivity and safety will help to move Brazilian skincare forward as evidenced by the popularity of the dermatologically tested claim, present in 40% of skincare launches in Brazil but only 26% of global launches. Meanwhile, claims like brightening and illuminating and paraben-free, which are popular globally, are found in 25% and 21% respectively of the global new product launches, are not even part of the 10 top claims in the Brazilian skincare market, when considering products launched between August 2013 and July 2014.
In addition, Mintel’s research reveals that 27% of Brazilian consumers use facial skincare products mainly to improve the texture of their skin, 25% use them to treat and prevent acne and 23% to minimise the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Indeed, the skincare market is performing well. Sun care, growing on a rate of 12.5%, and body care, 12.4%, categories are set to be two of the country’s fastest growing subcategories between 2012 and 2016, well ahead for example of facial skincare (6.3%). Underlining the growing importance of sun care, Mintel forecasts that it will overtake facial skincare in terms of value by the end of 2014, recording sales of R$ 2,177 million (US$ 0.94 billion) compared to facial skincare sales of R$ 2,146 million (US$ 0.92 billion).
“There is clearly scope for more sophisticated claims in the Brazilian market. Dermocosmetics and hybrid products such as tinted sunscreens, sun protecting foundations and multi tasking BB/CC creams will increasingly use enhanced claims of protection, prevention and personalisation, unlocking the potential of the facial skincare category,” adds Vivienne Rudd.
However, there are also opportunities to be found in hair care - the male consumer is very keen on looking after his hair. Indeed, Mintel’s research reveals that 61% of Brazilian men use shampoo daily, compared to 27% of women, and 61% of men use styling products everyday (compared to 41% of women). Furthermore, 44% of Brazilian men use a hair treatment every day, compared to just 23% of women. However while 33% of male hair care users choose male-specific products, only 2% of hair care launches in Brazil, in 2014 up to July, targeted men.