All the big players have always had this kind of shallow micro-injection on the surface of the skin. Previously we called them Skin Boosters but they were underdeveloped and the focus was more on Hydration. It was positioned as an alternative to Mesotherapy (NCTF Filorga).
Today, studies show that skin quality isn’t being addressed as much as it could be in doctor’s clinics. Many patients complain about Skin Fatigue – the words being used by patients are: less radiant, dull, tired, dry and exhausted.
A newcomer was launched at the show by Allergan - Juvéderm Volite - to treat skin quality; an HA (Hyaluronic-acid injection) to add smoothness, hydration and elasticity. Results last for 9 months.
Read more: www.allergan.comRegenerative medicine: The new aesthetic medicine
Aesthetic medicine can be divided in 2 types of treatments:
- The Corrective Treatments like Botox & Fillers, instantly correct the signs of aging, however, there aren’t any regenerative effects.
- The Regenerative Treatments: work with our body to rejuvenate our body from the inside. The most famous example is autologous treatment: PRP (Platelet-Rich-Plasma). It’s the most widespread of autologous cell grafting treatments.
The future is having both in one treatment: corrective & regenerative.
The use of autologous treatment such as PRP is being adopted in many clinics. It’s largely used in medicine to treat sport injuries, arthritis and surgical wounds. It’s an easy treatment to perform. The treatment uses the patient’s own blood. During a simple centrifuge process, the platelets and fibrins will be isolated from the blood. The resulting product (a liquid gel) is re-injected in the skin. The entire process takes 15-20 minutes. The difference between HA and this treatment for volume restoration is that the idea is not to fill the wrinkles but to stimulate the fibroblasts and the growth factors which will produce new collagen to regenerate the dermis, restore hydration and renew the skin.Submental fullness is now being addressed with fat-reducing injectable
There is a new treatment to treat the double-chin; even though doctors prefer to use the term submental fullness (double-chin makes patient feel like they are overweight).
Kybella® (first launched in the US in 2016) is called Belkyra® in Europe (it has just been launched in 2017). Kybella® / Belkyra® are a chin-fat reducing injections. The fat melting injection for sub-mental (under the chin) fat was approved by the FDA in April 2015. It’s made from deoxycholic acid - a naturally occurring molecule, used by the body to rid unwanted fat. It breaks down the cell walls of fatty tissue. The body can then safely eliminate the unwanted tissue. As fat cells die off, they do not return. It has mainly been used to treat double chins but will be used for buttocks, neck and arms. It hurts, causes inflammation, but works. Results occur at 12 weeks. The treatment is popular amongst both men and womenLifting threads with rejuvenating effects are all the rage
Lifting threads as an alternative to facelifts are getting really popular in doctor’s offices. Redefining the face, restoring volume and reducing wrinkles are what the latest threads treatment can achieve. The lifting effect is immediate and discreet as it is the result of compressing the tissue and elevating the skin at the time of implanting the suture.
There is also a tissue stimulation effect with threads that comes from for example:
- Polylactic acid (PLA), the principal component of the thread acts on the deeper layers of the skin and naturally stimulates the body so that it produces its own collagen. The regenerating effect is gradual. It’s used in Silhouette Soft Threads: silhouette-soft.com
- Princess Lift from Chroma (PDO Threads): www.princess-lift.com were also getting a lot of attention at the congress.
Universkin is a French cosmeceuticals brand with a mission to revolutionize the cosmeceuticals industry by challenging an obsolete cosmetics market and providing on-the-spot bespoke skincare.
What’s the concept?
The doctor will assess your skin care concerns based on a questionnaire which then colour codes the outcome to match specific ingredients. A tailor-made serum called Nexultra P will be created. All the three specific bespoke actives come in a powder form and are mixed in the serum base with a centrifuge-type machine.
The choice of three specific compounds following the patient’s exact skin needs:
- Mono Function Actives: Ferulic, DMAE, rutin, vit B5, glycolic acid, arbutin, kojic acid
- Duo Function Actives: superoxide dismutase, madecassosside, azelaic acid, magnesium, salicylic acid, phytic acid, zinc, lactopeptides
- Multi-Function Actives: vitamin B3, aloe vera, isoflavones, retinol, L-ascorbic acid.
The product includes only fresh actives and no preservatives, therefore it has a shelf-life of 6 weeks. It must be put into the fridge if the product hasn’t been finished after 6 weeks. To learn more: www.universkin.com