The winners of Ecovia Intelligence’s 2018 Sustainable Beauty Awards were announced in Paris a few days ago. Organised in parallel to the European edition of the Sustainable Cosmetics Summit, the awards give recognition to organisations “pushing the boundaries of sustainability in the beauty industry.”
About 100 international entries were received for the awards, with the winners and runner-ups selected by a jury of professionals comprising an ingredient firm, retailer, formulator, media agency, natural cosmetics industry organisation, and research firm.
Almost 160 senior executives from the beauty industry attended the awards reception.
The winners in each category are:
- New Sustainable Product. PharmMatt (France) with Frescoryl Toothpaste in Tablet that can be used without water and brushing. As well as having low water and packaging impacts, the formulation comprises natural ingredients.
- Sustainable Packaging. REN Clean Skincare (UK) is winner for using ocean plastic in its Atlantic Kelp & Magnesium Anti-Fatigue Body Wash. Launched in August, the product has 100% Post-Consumer Recycled (PCR) plastic bottles that comprise 20% ocean plastic
- Sustainable Ingredient. Clariant Active Ingredients (Germany) is winner with Eosidin. The natural active is extracted from green citrus unshiu from Jeju Island. Eosidin is designed to target atopic-prone skin and hypersensitivity triggered by indoor pollution.
- Sustainability Pioneer. Neal’s Yard Remedies (UK) is the winner for its carbon management and biodiversity programmes. The company celebrated 10 years of being carbon neutral this year, and has implemented a number of ethical sourcing projects that support biodiversity.
- Sustainability Leadership. Weleda (Switzerland) is winner for implementing a range of sustainability initiatives, involving raw material sourcing, biodiversity & conservation, green formulations, packaging, CSR & corporate philanthropy, and social impacts.