A notification issued by the Indian Ministry of health and welfare (Drugs and Cosmetics Rules, 2010) requires all cosmetics imported into India after the 1st of April 2011 to be registered.
The registration procedure includes the following steps:
- filling in the application form for a Registration Certificate for cosmetics,
- paying the registration fees (250 US$ or the equivalent in Indian rupees for each cosmetic brand),
- paying of testing fees directly to a laboratory approved by the Indian Central Government.
The applicants will have to provide extensive information about their products including:
- the list of countries where the products are authorized for sale
- the list of ingredients and their percentages in the formula
- the label and package insert (if any)
- a statement of compliance with Indian rules applicable to cosmetic products and good manufacturing practices (in the form specified by the notification)
Provided that the application is complete, the licensing authority must issue the Registration Certificate within six months from the date of receipt of the application. The registration is valid for a period of three years from the date of issue.
Please click on the image here below to download the English version of the Drugs and Cosmetics Rules, 2010: